Saturday, February 14, 2009

Facts About Flipper's Family

I'm not exactly a marine biologist (in case you didn't know), but recently I learned some fascinating facts about dolphins. OK, in the spirit of full disclosure, I should tell you that my "research" consisted of listening while my 8-year-old daughter, Macy, read a library book to me for her homework. I digress...

Just listen to this stuff, and take from it whatever you will:

1. Dolphins are mammals. (Don't worry, it gets better.)

2. They live in the water. (OK, I'm just joking about this one!)

3. Once they give birth, the parents continue to nurture their young for life. In other words, they stay together as a family unit, and demonstrate many "human" characteristics regarding relationships.

4. Although they live exclusively in water, they require oxygen to survive. (Just seeing if you're still with me...) Therefore, they have to return to the surface regularly for air. This fact is very important, because it leads into the last one. Are you ready?

5. When a dolphin is injured, the other dolphins in it's school (or family) do something incredible: they gather underneath the wounded dolphin and lift it to the surface so it can breathe. Think about that! The dolphins instinctively know that they must join together, work together, lift together in order to help their fallen friend. I can't think of a better picture of what the church is supposed to be about.

And let's take it one step further. Although the healthy dolphins want to help the wounded one, not one of them can do it alone. It would be too hard for one dolphin to singlehandedly support the weight of another, no matter how "willing to help" he was. The burden is just too great for one to bear--or even two to bear. It takes the whole group. Does any of this sound biblical? You be the judge.

"We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not just please ourselves." (Romans 15:1)


"Consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." (Philippians 2:3-4)

Bear one another's burdens. Love your neighbor as yourself. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. God's desire is for us to love one another deeply--even sacrificially--so that His Glory may be revealed in us. This is what the church is supposed to be. One family. One body. One school of dolphins! So, when you are wounded, I will be here to help. And when I am wounded, thank you all in advance for lifting me up, and giving me some fresh air! I love you guys. Thanks, Flipper...

1 comment:

  1. Hebrews 10: 24-25 says this:

    "And let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

    The word gives us a practical approach to fellowshipping with others. Many times, I’m sure you’ve said – “I wish I had more time in the day to spend with others” or “I want to help, but I don’t have the resources” or maybe “I’ll help out next time”. We are guilty of putting off things that we could do for others for whatever reason.

    This scripture starts out by saying, “…let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds…” (Heb 10:24). The opening sentence sets the tone we need to establish for ourselves. We need to take a step back from selfishness and step into selflessness.

    How do we renew our minds to engage in this selflessness mindset? I’m glad you were thinking that question. The scripture continues on with answering that very question. “…spur one another on towards love and good deeds…” (Heb 10:24), the keyword there is spur, which suggest that we should encourage one another to help others in need. I know you’re saying: I don’t have the time or resources to help. But wait, you do. It’s not just about giving money. God has deposited in you gifts and talents that you can share with others in need. While you may not always have money to give, you always will have what God has deposited you in. Therefore, God may have gifted you with a talent or gift that will bridge a person or families need(s).

    Next we need to make our flesh submit to our Giving Spirit daily. The word reminds us: “Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing…” (Heb 10:25). The keyword there is habit. We are all guilty of getting into bad habits. It becomes a daily behavior pattern. By not doing anything, we lull ourselves into selfish behavior when it comes to helping others, I don’t know if it’s a conscious or unconscious thing. Anyway, eventually, it becomes a habit of not doing anything.

    God’s word is perfect. The perfect ending to Hebrews 10:25 should excite us all. “…encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” (Heb 10:25).

    In short, let us encourage one another daily to lead a life of selflessness. Let us be conscious aware daily of ways we can help others because you never know the person you help today might be the person who helps you tomorrow.

    Regards,
    James E.

    Please check out my blog on technology tidbits Technology Training For Seniors (ttfstx.com Blog). You will be surprised to discover the benefits of technology in your daily life.

    ReplyDelete