Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts on Fear and Friendship

The thought occurred to me today that fear is worse when experienced alone. It's true. Fear about your health problems. Fear about your financial struggles. Fear about your future plans. All three of these fears are real, and they are being experienced by some dear friends of mine at the present time. In each case, the fear is so real...it almost takes on a life of its own. Fear begins to overtake faith. It crowds out hope. It erodes peace. It triumphs over trust.

But think with me for a moment. Is fear as intimidating when shared with a friend?

Consider these terms: Loneliness. Isolation. Depression. Rejection. Discouragement. These words have a lot in common, don't they? Like birds of a feather, peas in a pod. Now, consider another list: Laughter. Warmth. Encouragement. Community. Acceptance. Sounds better, huh? When you think about it, these words are totally incompatible with the former list. Their worlds cannot coexist.

In other words: It's hard to be lonely when you're laughing. It hard to feel rejected when you're watching a game with the guys. It's hard to be depressed on the golf course (OK, well actually, that's not so unusual...) It's hard to be discouraged when your friends believe in you so stinking much!

Psalm 23:4 says, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil , for you are with me." That last phrase is the key. Why shouldn't I fear? Because You, O Lord, are with me. You are my Friend--a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Listen, for any child of God, the truth is you are never alone. That's a given. He is always with you...yes, even in the valley of death. But just in case His love feels too distant to make a difference, here's an idea: Call a friend. (yeah, like an earthly one!) Pour some coffee. Share your hurts. Open up a little. Let them love you, and you'll soon find out that fear has to flee, because true godly friendship wins every time.

1 comment:

  1. Pastor David,
    I touch and agree with your words of encouragement, healing and insightful blog on Fear and Friendship.

    I would like to elaborate for a just a moment on your comments and the use of Psalms 23 (my favorite). I won't tarry long on Psalms 23. Let dash over verse 1 - 3 which sets the tone for what God has in store for someone who is in fear from a life experience.

    As you read on, you experience "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow
    death, I will fear no evil..." I know someone reading this right now is in the valley and your life experience is real with fear, you fear evil and are wondering why me. Just know that the rest of verse 4 is "for you are with me;..." God is by your side through it all. No matter how broken you are or how much you think you can't take it, the word continues to say, "your rod and staff, they comfort me". In other words, the Lord has your blessing in the valley. I know that's not where you want to go or be during that experience. Just like a Shepard protects his flock from predators with his rod and staff, God will protect you during your trial. In addition, just like a Shepard keeps his sheep from straying away, they rod and staff shall comfort you and keep you on the path God has for you.

    God has put you in that valley not the devil or your sin. He knows the beginning and the end. As a result, the great thing about verse 5 and 6 is that if your faith can graduate to trust in God as you come out of the valley, which is where your blessing is. The word says, "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies..(verse 5)" shows those who were against you and didn't think you would be victorious in the end, a feast will be prepared before them that they will not partake in. Then you will be blessed for your endurance and trust in God with "You anoint my head with oil;...(verse 5)", which signifies blessings. Moreover, verse 5 ends with how much of a blessing you will receive, "my cup overflows".

    Whoa, let me stop there. I'll expound upon verse 6 another day. Just know that you
    will have goodness and mercy/love following you all the days of your life. So, take
    these words of encouragment from someone who knows what it's like to be in the valley filled with
    fear but found comfort in my friend in Jesus.

    Have a great day on purpose!
    James

    ReplyDelete