Friday, February 27, 2009

Life During Lent: Getting Rid of "IT"

Sorry it has taken a few days to get back to you guys about my "Lent Life." I have thought a lot about this, and I keep coming back to this simple truth: I should give up something I would actually miss. For me, that's Diet Coke. (Yep, it's that simple...my apologies to those of you who were expecting something more!) IT doesn't necessarily have to be deep, or complicated, or of some "spiritual" value--IT just needs to matter to you. In other words, every time you get ready to eat, drink, watch, read, drive, play, or rent IT...you need to stop and think, "Nope, not this time. I'm giving IT up, so I can draw closer to Jesus."

So, that's my subtraction. Diet Coke.

Now, for the addition: I know I need to spend more time in prayer--that's a given. So that's #1: Get up 30 mins earlier to spend time with God.

Here's #2: Journaling. I have done this off-and-on for years, and although I usually get a lot out of it, I just seem to drop off after 3-5 days. Then, I start again 2 weeks later...then again 3 months later...then Michele has another baby, and I stop for a year! (In fact, come to think of it, that almost makes me want to stop journaling altogether! Yikes!) Maybe some of you are asking, "What's journaling, and why do it, anyway?" (Well, I think that would be a great subject for another blog entry.)

And for #3, I would like to blog more, during the 40 days of Lent. Sound strange? Here's my thought--I want to share what God is teaching me, and I want to hear what He is doing in your lives, too. This can be quite a season of refreshing for all of us, and I want to create the forum for us to edify & encourage one another. What are you learning? How are you growing? What's the hardest part? The most rewarding? You get the idea...

That's enough for now. I'd better be quiet so you can talk... (I'm going to go make a nice tall glass of Diet...water.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your future blogs... Great stuff and kudos to you for doing it...

    A very long time ago, I once was a a catholic alter boy, did my holy communion
    and of course lent. But years later, haven't thought about it much.

    As for my wife, she did give up her altoids for Lent and I applaud her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pastor David,

    Once again, you are highly favored and full of revelation in the name of Jesus. I touch and agree with you on your Lent pledges as well. My addition and subtraction boils down to just one of each. Unlike yours, you have multiple pledges - very impressive.

    Here goes...my addition during Lent will be to ask the Lord to show me how to accomplish my prayer request. I often believe that your faith determines your effective prayer life. So, by asking in faith using God's word in my request, God's word says he promises to respond. Therefore, my expectations will be a whole lot of teaching and revelation will be going on during Lent for me.

    As for my subtraction during Lent, I pledge to stop asking the Lord why during my prayer time and make a conscious effect to not let that word be thought of or spoken from my mouth. Too many times, I have had a tendency to ask God why when he is the one who orders my steps. Therefore, he allows what happens in my life for a reason. Even if my finite mind does not understand, everything that God allows to happen in my life, is for the good of the Lord.

    So, I plan on giving that mindset a try during Lent. In addition, I'll get out of God's way and stop asking him why. Instead, I'll start asking show me how to achieve the plans he has for me.

    ReplyDelete