Saturday, February 28, 2009

No Testimony Without a Test

Don't you hate it when someone says, "I know what you're going through"? When you're hurting, you really don't care to hear lectures, pep talks, and motivational speeches from people who have supposedly "been where you've been." A hug? Yes. A $100 bill? You bet! But empty words from some cheerleader on a sugar-high? Don't bother. It's like losing your job and having Bill Gates put his arm around your shoulder saying, "I know how you feel." Yeah right!

Let's face it, when life hurts, talk is cheap.

But what if someone really did know how you feel? What if they had walked a mile in your shoes? What if they sat where you sit? Now that would be different. You might actually be willing to listen, because you might learn something! You could ask questions...and get real answers, based on real experience.

Think about this: God turns obstacles into opportunities. Every pain in my life becomes an opportunity to share God's love, grace, faithfulness, and provision. Even when I don't see the "good" in tough times, two facts are always true: 1) God is there to help me through it; and 2) God wants me to use my pain to help others. I've reminded of this twice in the last week...

1. I heard about a family in Caldwell, TX who lost everything they owned in a house fire last Saturday. Immediately, my heart was broken for this family of six (mom, dad & 4 boys, ages 7-13), not just because it's a sad story...but because I have experienced a fire myself. In 1986, our family lost our home to a fire. I have often shared about how grateful I was to receive my first shirt, jeans, and 3-pack of Fruit-of-the-Looms after the fire. We stayed with a family from church for several weeks, until a rental home could be found. Eventually, life returned to "normal," but I'll never forget the feeling of huddling together with my family on the front lawn of my home while firefighters rushed in and out. The sights, sounds, and smells of that afternoon are still with me today.

2. I got an email from a missionary friend, Dick Herman, whose father was just diagnosed with a brain tumor. Immediately, my heart was stirred for him, not just because it;s a sad story...but because I have experienced the news myself. In the late 1990's, my dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I remember hearing the news of his stroke, the subsequent diagnostic tests, and the eventual surgery. I remember saying goodbye to him just before he was wheeled into the OR, and wondering if I would see him again. I remember the days, weeks, and months of recovery. I remember the way God provided for my family's finances in the most unexpected ways. Eventually, life returned to "normal," but I'll never forget the slurred speech, starry looks, and gentle seizures during those early days. The sights & sounds are still with me today.

So, what does all this mean? Twice in one week I heard sad stories. But twice in one week I was ready to respond. Why? Because the pain of my past became an opportunity for God's love to shine. My test became a testimony...and it was time to share! You may not have been through a fire, and you may not have watched your father recover from surgery, but you've still got something to share. So share it, and let the healing begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment