Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Do You Observe Lent?


I've been in church most all my life, but I've never observed the season of Lent.

Not really sure why, but my family didn't talk about it. And my church didn't teach about it. And so I certainly didn't think much about it. That is...until recently.

First, a brief explanation: Lent, in some Christian denominations, is the forty-day-long season of fasting and prayer before Easter. The forty days represent the time Jesus spent in the desert, where according to the Bible he endured temptation by Satan. Different churches calculate the forty days differently. The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer—through prayer, penitence, sacrificial giving, and self-denial--for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

So, in other words, this is a season of self-denial for the purpose of reflection and eventually celebration. But I wonder, do any of you in the Bridge Family observe this "holiday?" I've heard the phrase, "I'm giving up such and such for lent," but I've never really taken the time to personalize a response from my heart to the Lord.

This year, I want to.

Mark Batterson, pastor of National Community Church in Washington D.C., describes the Lent observance (or for that matter, FASTING in general) as being a two-fold process: SUBTRACTION and ADDITION. The following is an excerpt from his blog (http://www.evotional.com/):

"What do you need to subtract from you life? It might be a bad habit or waste of time or something that is permissible but not beneficial. Last year I gave up television for forty days. This year I'm giving up soda and candy. I know that doesn't sound super spiritual, but if you knew how much I love vanilla coke and gummy bears... What do you need to add to your life? You can't just subtract something. You've got to add something to your spiritual routine. I'm going to add an hour to my day. How? I'm setting my alarm clock an hour earlier than I normally do. I want to give God more of my most precious resource: time. I'm believing that subtraction and addition will result in multiplication. "

As part of our 10-week challenge (which of course lasts longer than 40 days), I would invite you to join me in the observance of Lent. Spend some time praying about your response, and then go for it! And whatever you do, remember it is a two-fold process--subtraction and addition. To put it another way, we need both fasting and feasting!

I'll let you know what I decide--but in the meantime, I would love to hear from the rest of you.

P.S. -- The "official" start of Lent is Ash Wednesday, which is February 25th. (So you'd better hurry!)

3 comments:

  1. OK, batter up. Here goes...chocolate. That's what I'm giving up for Lent. I love chocolate. CHOCOLATE!!! Anything and everything. It's my Achilles heel to dieting. So, I'm in for 40 days. That was a 4-0, right? The only catch is I'll have to start tomorrow. That bowl of Cocoa Puffs this morning blew it for today.

    Now if you'll excuse me I have to go hunt down that last pack of M&Ms I've got hidden from the kids.

    P.S. - if I don't talk to you at church on Sunday because I'm staring at your chocolate donut, please don't take offense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Bill...Here it goes I'm going to give up BBQ, since you already know that I'm having to give up most everything I like to eat lately. And has of today I'm adding an extra hour a day to the study of the Word and to spend extra time in Prayer, Praise and Worship.

    I'm Like you Pastor, I have always wondered why growing up in the AG's, why we were not taught to observe lent? Thanks for your input on lent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea for me.....I will give up tea. I will add walking and running to my routine and this will give me time to reflect on the Lord's goodness on my life. You did say physical and spiritual exercise, didn't you, Pastor?

    Z

    ReplyDelete