Saturday, January 8, 2011

Can I change?

At BCC, we speak with conviction about "changed lives," because after all, it's a pretty obvious truth in Scripture. Just take 2 Corinthians 5:17 for example: "If anyone be in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things are passed away, and all things are made new." Kind of hard to miss, isnt it? God sent his Son to change lives. Jesus died & rose again for changed lives. The Holy Spirit guides & empowers changed lives. Changed lives are the goal for any church, any ministry, any believer.

But what about me? I sometimes wonder, "Am I changed?" (or at least change-ING...?) I confess that I often ask this question. At times, the answer seems like an easy YES, but that's usually after a few good days of disciplined Bible reading, praying, and sin-avoidance. You know the feeling...it's like you're finally starting to figure this thing out. Finally learning to ride a bike better. Almost ready to take off the training wheels. Look mom, no hands!

Then just when I least expect it...I hit a rock, blow out a tire, and crash. Never saw it coming. I pick myself up, wipe off the dirt, and climb back on the bike. Good as new, right? Wrong! Nope, this time, the failure leaves a bruise -- and I'm left disappointed, discouraged, depleted... During these times, the answer seems like a resounding NO. Me, changed?!? Nope, it's just the same old me making the same old mistakes. Can you relate? Trust me, you're not alone.

But don't be fooled. There's more to life change than just stringing together more good days than bad ones. Life change is about a relationship with Jesus. Your "new life" is NEW because of what He did, not what you're trying to do better. Jesus changes lives. He's changed mine. And He can change yours.

If you're trying to do it on your own, well...good luck with that.

1 comment:

  1. Change such a BIG word. Not all of us are ever comfortable with change, however, change must come if we are to follow Christ.

    Change, to make a difference.
    Change, to make something old new.
    Change, to leave something behind and a go forward with something new.
    Change, a choice. To be a better me?
    CHANGE, to be more like Jesus?
    CHANGE, to become whom God wants us to be?
    A choice.... CHANGE...
    siskickstart

    ReplyDelete