Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Blind Spots

Everybody has blind spots. That should be no surprise to you. The real question is, do you know what they are? Chances are you don't. That's why they're called "blind" spots. My quick temper that wounds the hearts of my kids. My dry sarcasm that's not really funny after all. My bad breath. My body odor. That piece of hair sticking up in the back of my head. Those sneaky extra pounds gathering around my waistline. (I always blame the dryer for shrinking my pants...). Often these things are clearly evident to those around me...so why am I always the last to know?

Because I don't want to see them.

As Jack Nicholson's character shouted in A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth!" I believe it is our human nature to deceive ourselves. We want to think the best of ourselves. We forgive our own mistakes easily. We give ourselves the benefit of the doubt. We know what we meant to say...

But what if my version of reality is actually wrong? More importantly, what if my assessment of my own spiritual life is wrong? If I really got honest, it might hurt too much...

On Sunday, I began a new series called, "Let's Get Real." The primary text for the series is 2 Corinthians 13:5, "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?" We'll be spending the next few weeks getting honest about our spiritual growth (or the lack thereof). The goal is for each person at BCC to recommit themselves, not only to spiritual disciplines such as prayer, Bible study, stewardship, and service, but also to new personal relationship with Jesus!

What are the blind spots the Holy Spirit is revealing in your life? What are you doing to change in those areas?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the fight Pastor David. I always enjoy and look forward to your blog post. I look forward to discovering new blind spots that the Holy Spirit will reveal to me during your series. As for ways to make changes to those blind spots, I await hearing your series for the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart. This series is something that needs to be spoken, even if there are those who don't want to hear it. It's rather on point with my life's phrase, "Stay golden: be genuine, true, honest, real with yourself and have integrity." Looking forward to what the Lord has for us. Hold fast in the fire...

    ReplyDelete