Wednesday, August 19, 2009

You Can't Keep It To Yourself!

One year ago TODAY (August 19, 2008) I did the unthinkable. On a 146-yard par 3 (that’s a golf hole, in case some of you aren’t into the world’s greatest life-long sport), I hit a perfect 7-iron that hit the green, bounced twice, and rolled right into the cup. It was a hole-in-one!

I couldn’t believe it! I’d never hit one before. I’d never had a friend to hit one. In fact, I’d never even seen one at all…except for on TV. It was awesome! And immediately, the first thought that came into my mind was, “I’ve got to tell someone!”

(Luckily, my friend Justin was there to witness this extraordinary athletic achievement—OK, so it’s not exactly like breaking the 4-minute mile, but it was still pretty cool for a hacker like me!)

As soon as I got back to the car, I started working my way through the contact list in my cell phone. I called my wife, my parents, my golf buddies, my fourth-grade math teacher, my dentist, and even returned a few of the “wrong numbers” in my call history. After all, wouldn’t want to leave anyone out, now would I? (The following week, my name even appeared in the Austin American Statesman, where they document all the hole-in-ones from local golf courses. And yes, I still have the newspaper clipping, along with the ball, which I will pass along to my children when I die.)

So, you see, this was a big deal! Ranks right up there with world peace, Haley’s comet, and the invention on Blue Bell ice cream. This is the kind of news you have to share! It must be told.

Now, time-out. Let’s pause Sportscenter for a moment, and ask yourself one simple question: Does Jesus mean so much to you that you have to share Him? Is it impossible for you to keep quiet about Him?

When you get a chance, read 2 Kings 7. It tells the story of 4 lepers who make an incredible discovery. When they realize the miracle that has taken place in front of their very eyes, they make a powerful statement: "We're not doing right. This is a day of good news, and we are keeping it to ourselves." (v.9)

Wow! Enough said...

No comments:

Post a Comment