Sunday, March 22, 2009

3 out of 4 ain't bad

I've just got to say that I love these girls! Most of you know that I have 4 daughters, but only the oldest 3 are pictured here. Tonight, I had a conversation with them at bedtime that was eye-opening, to say the least. We talked about life-after-death, the reality of the rapture, the book 90 Minutes in Heaven, inviting friends to church, sharing Jesus at school...and of course, the new Hannah Montana movie coming soon to a theatre near you.

I'd love to tell you that we got all the issues covered, the questions answered, and the problems solved. But I'm a dad, not a superhero. The truth is, these talks aren't always so theologically-charged...Far from it! In fact, more often we're debating who took whose flip-flops, and where so-and-so's favorite skirt has disappeared to.

All I can say is these are the moments I want to hold on to. They don't come along often enough, but when they do, I don't want to miss a thing. Too many nights, I go through the motions. The words just roll off my tongue, almost without thinking: Are your clothes picked out for tomorrow? Anyone need to potty again? Is your backpack by the door? Get in bed. I'm counting to 10...1...2...3...It's not funny girls! I said get in bed! Daddy's serious. It's already 30 minutes past your bedtime, so let's move it! Alright, we ready to pray?! Dear God, thanks for the day, forgive our sin, bless everyone we can think of, bless the missionaries, bless those less fortunate than us, help us have a good night's sleep. Amen. Love you girls. (Kiss...hug...kiss again...hug again...one more kiss...one more hug...and that's it! Done. Lights out. Dad's gone.)

A word to all the dads: cherish the bedtime talks! (And bonus points if you can work in some eschatology next time...)

1 comment:

  1. Pastor David,

    You knocked it out the park – bedtime with your children. I cherish that time with my daughter. Although she is only 28 months old, I have been blessed to spend a lot more time than the average dad does everyday. I especially enjoy bedtime because I talk and she listens-most of the time. I have a captivate audience for 15 – 30 minutes. Anyway, as part of our routine, we read her favorite books then close with prayer. Occasionally, we read her Children's Bible. So, I always take that time to sow into my daughter to renew and expand her mind. The reading helps develop her cognitive skills, imagination, and quality of life. She has already begun to memorize phrases, words and stories. Whoa, a child's mind is endless with absorbing what's feed to it. On the other hand, I as an adult have a tough time remembering what I ate for breakfast that day. So, I pray that God will give me the same enthusiasm that my daughter has for time with her Father. Lord knows. I'm trying to develop a routine to sit and listen to my Father's word daily. Who knows. I might just hear the stories enough that I start to memorize them like my daughter does with me.

    In addition, here is the link to the book on Amazon.com"90 Minutes in Heaven". Also, check out this 4 min. video clip of the authors experience on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete